A woman’s handbag is hallowed territory that men fail to understand and shudder to breach. An accessory that expresses something deeply personal about its owner by being both revealing and concealing at the same time. Her handbag holds within its sacred confines her survival kit for life, and the handbag itself as well as its contents change with her moods, activities and seasons.
For those of us in 2015, it’s impossible to imagine a period in history when handbags were not essential to a woman’s wardrobe but back in the 18th century, the very notion of a woman parading her personal belongings publicly was akin to her having taken off her knickers and waving them in the air. As a result the first prototype handbags called reticules, which were delicately embellished handheld pouches in velvet, damask and satin, were dubbed ‘ridiculous’ for a while. As feminism altered women’s role in society from essentially domestic to voluntarily professional, the handbag was no longer her discreet secret but an extension of her identity and personality. Backed by women’s natural competitiveness and their newfound financial independence, handbag designers let their collective imaginations soar and flooded the markets with a bag for every profession and occasion.
Tote bags and shoppers for working women and new mommies, cross body bags and messenger bags for college students and interns, drawstring bags and hobos for travel junkies and minaudieres and clutch bags for socialites and ladies who lunch. An ever-increasing list of shapes and sizes fills the universe of handbags with endless possibilities and choices.
A fairly recent addition to this enchanting world is the embroidered clutch bag, which can be considered the regular clutch bag’s sparkle infused glamorous cousin. An amalgamation of western shapes and ethnic embellishments, the embroidered clutch bag supersedes all others as the ultimate style accessory that packs a compact sized fashionable punch.
The party girl’s best friend, an embroidered clutch bag encompasses within its tiny self, all the essentials to keep her looking selfie-ready at all times. It’s also an ideal accompaniment to any Indian outfit suitably befitting the outfit’s adornment and finery. A perfectly balanced and well-matched embroidered clutch bag can be the statement making piece to an otherwise mellow ensemble, a contrasting pop of colour and shine for a single toned outfit or a flawlessly crafted addition to an equally stunning garment.
With the festive season soon to be upon us, an embroidered clutch bag is an essential weapon in the contemporary and chic woman’s arsenal of accessories. Pair an embroidered clutch bag with saris, lehenga-cholis, anarkali suits, salwaar-kurtas, chudidar-kurtas and other Indian wear or with little black dresses, palazzo trousers with crop tops or shorts and tops for an ethnic twist. Let the following embroidered clutch bags awaken your ingenuity and invoke outfit to bag combinations that are truly inspired.
1. Vivacious Tangka Embroidered Clutch by Meera Mahadevia
2. Multicolour Embroidered Clutch by The Purple Sack
3. Pretty Beaded Clutch by Meera Mahadevia
4. Spectacular Intricately Designed Clutch by Meera Mahadevia
5. Aakriti Clutch by Meera Mahadevia
6. Exquisitely Detailed Hexagon Clutch by Meera Mahadevia
7. Folk Dance Clutch by The Purple Sack
8. Ornately Detailed Clutch by Meera Mahadevia
9. Dazzling Blue Clutch by Meera Mahadevia
10. Magnificently Adorned Hexagon Clutch by Meera Mahadevia
11. Enthralling Peacock Inspired Clutch by Meera Mahadevia
12. Striking Brocade Clutch by Meera Mahadevia
13. Opulent Maroon Clutch by Meera Mahadevia
14. Pink Embellished Clutch by The Purple Sack
15. Royal Red Clutch by Meera Mahadevia
1. Elegant Wedding Clutch by Kaleido
2. The Gold Fiesta Clutch by The Purple Sack
3. Timeless Silver Clutch by Kaleido
4. Mirror Work Clutch by Kaleido
5. Blue and Red Maharani Clutch by Meera Mahadevia
6. Dazzling Metallic Cutwork Clutch by Meera Mahadevia
7. Stylish Jali Clutch by Meera Mahadevia
8. Blue Mesh Frame Clutch by Meera Mahadevia
9. Beaded Ombre Flower Clutch by Meera Mahadevia
10. Refined Gleaming Clutch by Meera Mahadevia
11. Baroque Black Clutch by The Purple Sack
12. Sparkling Sequined Clutch by The Purple Sack
13. Turquoise Raw Silk Clutch by Meera Mahadevia
14. Black Web Clutch by Kaleido
15. The Jewel Clutch by Kaleido