Designer Narendra Kumar Ahmed lists some must-haves for men and women.
1. Birkin bag: A Birkin bag is the ultimate aspiration for a fashionista. It's a classic for a reason. It is versatile and looks good when worn with jeans, cocktail dresses or even a sari.
2. Christian Louboutin: Glamourous evening shoes that make a statement. Christian Louboutin's trademark glossy red soles are an undisputed stamp of fashion excellence. Since the launch of his eponymous label in 1991, the French designer has stayed true to his goal - to 'make shoes that are like jewels'. From razor-sharp stilettos to lace-up boots and studded sneakers, Louboutin is every woman's go-to brand for heavenly heels and coveted accessories.
3. A Narendra Kumar slim fit blazer: Or a jacket that can be worn over dresses or paired with jeans. Signature jackets can make you an instant head turner. Make sure the fit is perfect. Try shades and hues that are bright and yet not jarring.
4. Sabyasachi sari: Traditional with an arty take. Fascinating cuts, breathtaking Indian silhouettes and dynamic use of colours and fabrics define Sabya's transcendent collection. Go for a heavy duty Benarasi silk or handwoven cotton.
5. Rohit Bal lehenga: To make you feel like an ethereal princess. Heavily embroidered jackets are on-trend and will make you look royal. Rohit Bal often teams heavily embroidered lehengas and saris with a jacket that will make you look like a princess on your special day. Go sans the jacket if you want up your oomph quotient.
6. Manish Malhotra kurta: For your glitzy Indian outfit. A master of colours, it's amazing how he can complement two very different shades in such a pretty way. He recently introduced a line with Kashmiri embroidery in muted shades that are gorgeous.
7. Anamika Khanna fusion dress: Her Indo-Western twist in fabrics and cuts are uber contemporary and look understated.
8. Crisp, classic white shirt by Carolina Herrera: A classic white shirt is not just part of work/ formal wear. And it need not be androgynous. Look how Gwyneth Paltrow and the late Carolyn Bassette Kennedy wore it with floor length skirts for a chic evening look.
9. Sensuous lingerie by Stella McCartney: Because what's underneath counts. Lingerie is about making yourself feel great; it's never about anyone else. Get experimental and go wild with your imagination.
10. Long lasting lipstick: Choose a signature colour. Make it your own. Your lips can be emphasised and made to stand out during an evening out. Complement the look with your ensemble.
11. Two pairs of jeans: One classic and one trendy. Every girl must have a pair of jeans that fits her like second skin. Embellished and embroidered looks are in too. Texture finishing is also a good option.
12. Sunglasses by Marc Jacobs: Over sized sunglasses are the ultimate 'Do not disturb' accessory. No matter what you wear, sunglasses can inject a dose of instant glamour. Sometimes, it makes sense to wear them on for longer than required, even indoors at a party venue.
13. Classic shoes: A man must own a fabulous pair of shoes for all occasions. Classic Italian brogues are a must. Loafers can be worn for a more dressed down look. Also try casual shoes in fun colours.
14. Formal slim fit black trousers: One that fits you well and flatters you. You must have a pair handy. Wear with a formal blazer for an evening out on the town.
15. A great looking jacket: Pair your formal look with a cutaway collar linen jacket. It can be worn as a formal suit or paired down with jeans.
16. Swiss timepiece: You will keep this forever. A classic Patek Philippe is an investment and a fabulous conversation starter.
17. Cufflinks: The most important piece of formal 'jewellery' for a man.
____________________________________________Shop Indian Designer Menswear at Strand of Silk.